Kelbajar region borders on the Republic of Armenia in the west, Dashkesen, Khanlar (now: Goygol) regions, Terter region in the north-east, Aghdam, Khojali in the east, Lachin region in the south. The territory of the region Lachin is 1936 km2 and there was one regional centre, one urban-type settlement and 145 villages there. About 20 villages of Aghdere region were included in Lachin adminstarative division. Kelbajar granted an administrative district status on August 08, 1930.The villages are:Abdullaushaghi, Aghyatag, Fatallar, Moz, Mozgarachanli, Aghjakend, Orudglu, Tezekend, Zaghalar, Aghdaban, Baghirli, Chaygovushan, Almalig, Boyukduz, Lachin, Ashaghi Ayrim, Boyagli, Yukhari Ayrım, Baghlipeye, Veng, Bashlibel, Alirzalar, Chovdar, Khallanlıi, Shahkerem, Jomerd, Garaguney, Najafali, Piriler, Chaykend, Kendyeri, Gasimlar, Mishni, Rehimli, Chepli, Zulfugarli, Cherekdar, Childiran, Turkeshevend, Galaboyun, Garakhanchalli, Yanshagbine, Alolar, Armudlu, Bezirkhana, Hajimalilar, İlyaslar, Devedashi, Mehmana, Chirag, Mammadsefi, Tovledere, Dalghilijli, Barmagbine, Deregishlag, Otagli, Otgishlag, Dashbulag, Alchali, Allikend, Boyur, Demirchidam, Ganlikend, Bazarkend, Dovshanli, Hayad, Esrik, Chobangerehmez, Chorman, Tirkeshevend, Guneshli, Alchali, Nebiler, Hajikend, Bashkend, Heyvali, Yayiji, Hasanriz, İstibulag, Aghdash, Goydere, Keshdek, Kəremli, Kolatagh, Damghali, Gamishli, Baghirsag, Kechiligaya, Zergulu, Vengli, Zallar, Hasanlar, Zeylik, Kaha, Hopurlu, Gazikhanli, Orta Garachanli, Ashaghi Garachanli, Bash Garachanli, Kholazay, İmanbinesi, Tatlar, Gilınjlı, Alchali, Guzeychikin, Gizilgaya, Yukhari Oratagh, Chopurlu, Gozlu, Gozlukorpu, Lev, Merdgimek, Aghgaya, Birinji Milli, İkinji Milli, Uchunju Milli, Mollabayramli, Nadirkhanli, Narinjlar, Saridash, Guneypeyə, Seyidler, Jemilli, Susuzlug, Gasimbinesi, Shaplar, Mammadushaghi, Ashaghi Shurtan, Orta Shurtan, Soyugbulag, Yukhari Shurtan, Takhtabashi, Yenikend, Tekegaya, Babashlar, Bozlu, Chormanli, Garaguney, Yanshag, Yellije, Tekdam, Zar, Sheyinli, Zivel, Shahmansurlu.
The population of Kelbajar region is 85,5 thousand people (01.04.2013). 98% of the population made Azerbaijanis, the rest 2% the Russians , the Kurds from Iran and other nationalities. The etymology of the word “Kelbajer” was taken from Turkic origin that mean “fortress on the river”(the initial form was “Kevlicher”). “Kevli” means “over the river”, “cher jer” means “fortress”.
The surface is mountainous (Murovdagh, Shahdagh, East Sevan (Sevan), Vardenis, Mikhtoken, a part of the Karabakh chain and Karabakh plateau). Jamish Mountain is the highest peak (3724 m) and Dalidagh (3616 m). Jurassic, Cretaceous, Palaeogene, Neogene and anthropogenic sedimentary, volcanic-sedimentary and volcanic rocks spread in the area. The longest river of the region the River Terter, its tributaries (the Lev River, the Tutguncay River, etc.) and the source of the River Bazarchay is in the territory of Kelbejer region. In the central and northern part broad-leaved forests, forest-steppe vegetation, in the high and partly high mountains alpine and sub-alpine meadows cover a large area. The total area of the forests is 32774 hectares. Mountain goats, brown bear, wild boar, rocky place squirrel, eagles, etc.enriche its fauna.
Kalbajar is located approximately 450 km west from Baku, on the Barda –Istisu (Kelbajar) motorway, on the bank of the Tartar River, on the steep cliffs.
Kalbajar is situated at the edge of Barda-Istisu road, 450 kilometers far from Baku in the west, in the shores of Terter and on the cliffes.
There were regional department of State Security Committee of Republic Consumer-technical Agriculture, household service combinat, station of sanitary-epidemiological, 2 secondary schools, music school, cultural center, 2 mass libraries, central hospital, polylinic, cinema, maternity hospital, large trade, industrial institutions. Kalbajar is located on the mountain plain and it is in the foothills of mountains around it.